Our Environmental practice group helps clients achieve their business goals without undue interference or delay. We have advised clients on environmental matters since the 1960s, and we now represent companies throughout the Southeast, across the nation and internationally. We counsel our clients on a broad range of environmental compliance matters that include:
- Issuance of and compliance with environmental permits – We negotiate such permits as Title V and PSD air permits, NPDES wastewater and stormwater permits, wetlands permits, POTW pretreatment permits, public water supply permits, RCRA hazardous waste permits, landfill permits, landfill franchise agreements and others for all sectors of industry.
- Environmental audits and assessments – We perform and participate in environmental audits and assessments for our clients, report audit findings to agencies under self-disclosure policies and negotiate self-disclosure agreements with the agencies.
- Generation, storage and disposal of hazardous and solid waste – We advise clients on the federal, state and local regulation of materials and waste management in business.
- Regulation of underground storage tanks – We advise clients on all aspects of USTs, including installation, operation, maintenance, reporting and cleanup of releases from USTs and eligibility for reimbursement under state UST trust funds.
- Preparation of environmental policies and regulatory procedures – We prepare policy and procedure manuals and environmental management systems for clients and advise clients on practical compliance with such policies, procedures and systems.
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) matters – We advise clients on TSCA matters including enforcement, inventory update rule compliance, pre-manufacture notification and import/export certification.
- State and federal inventory and release reporting and cleanup requirements – Many of our clients are required to submit regular Tier II and Form R reports under the federal Emergency Preparedness and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) and similar state laws. We advise our clients on routine reporting as well as unexpected spill and release reporting requirements.
- Assessment and remediation of impacted properties – We work closely with environmental consultants and other professionals to assess and clean up environmentally-impacted properties. This process generally requires coordination with state and local agencies. We work with clients to meet the common goal of protecting the environment, while striking an economic balance beneficial to our clients.